Thursday, May 1, 2008

I'm white

So, I went to LA for the GLAAD Media Awards and I will blog about my whole experience - but there is something I wanted to write about before I got to that. This experience frustrated me enough that I decided it needs to be its own blog, so here it goes.

I'm white. This you can tell. Just take a look at me. I'm white. This would ideally just be another descriptor of how to describe me, but in the world today this 1 little adj. gets me more advantages in life. I realize that because I'm while I'm less likely to be a 'suspect' when driving late at night and get pulled over. This adj. gives me so many advantages that I'm not even aware of, but at the LAX airport tuesday I realized another one. I went through security with no problem. I was dressed 'normal' and spoke english. So as I walked by the security guards I glanced over and saw the 'random' line of people they stopped to search. There was fucking nothing random about it. It was total bullshit and it pissed me off. I saw every ethnicity in that little holding section except a white person. For some reason high ups in security think i'm less of a threat than other races. Racial profiling exists and its annoying. I use the word annoying because I dont have to deal with it, people that I know and people that I witness have to deal with it. So I just wanted to blog about it because I find it very frustrating that I get to wiz by security while those with darker skin tones than mine have to go through 1 extra step of proving that they aren't bringing on any dangerous items vs. me. Race is a made up thing. Discuss.

No comments: